Saturday, May 31

Story behind the hymn..

In a previous post i said i would do this every once in a while so here is the Hymn i have chosen today....
The tune is named af­ter the ship on which Spaf­ford’s child­ren per­ished, the S.S. Ville de Havre. Iron­ic­al­ly, Bliss him­self died in a tra­gic train wreck short­ly af­ter writ­ing this mu­sic.
~
This hymn was writ­ten af­ter two ma­jor trau­mas in Spaf­ford’s life. The first was the great Chi­ca­go Fire of Oc­to­ber 1871, which ru­ined him fi­nan­cial­ly (he had been a weal­thy bus­i­ness­man). Short­ly af­ter, while cross­ing the At­lan­tic, all four of Spaf­ford’s daugh­ters died in a col­li­sion with an­o­ther ship. Spaf­ford’s wife Anna sur­vived and sent him the now fa­mous tel­e­gram, “Saved alone.” Sev­er­al weeks lat­er, as Spaf­ford’s own ship passed near the spot where his daugh­ters died, the Ho­ly Spir­it in­spired these words. They speak to the eter­nal hope that all be­liev­ers have, no mat­ter what pain and grief be­fall them on earth.
-
~~~ It is well with my soul~~~
-
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
-
Refrain
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
-
Though Satan should buffet,
though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
-
Refrain
-
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
-
Refrain
-
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.
-
Refrain

7 comments:

Three Sisters Blog said...

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Kristi said...

One of my favorite hymns!

~Kristi

Unknown said...

I love this Hymn. I hope you and the baby are doing great~ God Bless~

TO BECOME said...

Dear Karen, I love this hymn. It is so wonderful to know that we can have that inner peace, and joy no matter what our circumstances. I am happy to say, "It Is Well With My Soul." Thank you. connie from texas

The Sisters said...

That was a great post!
Hope your doing well!

~Holly&Katie~

TO BECOME said...

Karen, have you had your baby yet? If not I hope things are going well and if you have I pray God's blessing on you and your new one. connie from Texas

Jennifer said...

wow..thanks for sharing that is one of my favorite songs and I never knew anything about it and how it came to be wrote:)